Friday, March 28, 2014

Room 237. Stay the hell away.

Room 237 Extra Credit
Christopher McKinney
Mr.Bauks
Period 4

I'm not even sure where to start with this. I can usually find something good to say about any movie, documentary or any piece of footage for that matter. Throughout the entirety of Room 237 I felt like I was listening to a group of stoners who had happened to get their hands on a piece of video editing software and some high quality microphones. The one thing that annoyed me the most about room 237 is how each narrator acted as if they were the only people to notice subtle discrepancies within the Shining. On top of that some of them felt like they were experts on everything. "I was a studier of the holocaust for my whole life" Ok thats great, were very proud of you for your noble pursuit of historical justice, however no matter how much you think or how hard you try, that has absolutely nothing to do with The Shining. As much as you would like to think that the people who soft dissolve into a pile of luggage is some sort of reference to holocaust victims, it could also just be a normal video transition. Even if Stanley Kubrick was attempting to mindf*ck us in some weird twisted way for god knows what reason, what societal contribution are you making by analyzing every weird quirk about about through a 2 hour documentary? I'm sorry but I just couldn't care enough to sit through another minute of it. My theory is that if any of these narrators had been on a film set before and were familiar with how movies are shot and produced, they would never have made Room 237. I grew up on film sets my whole life, removing the sort of magical 4th wall between being on set and watching something in a movie theater. I know that there is always someone behind the camera calling the shots, and that they might like to have some fun every now and then. That could mean that there is a purposely placed continuity error. Even if it wasn't purposely done, they've probably been filming for hours on end, someone might have just messed up.

Either way I don't think that these theoretical assumptions about a fictional movie deserve any more attention than a simple 250 word blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment