Monday, March 24, 2014

Psycho

PSYCHO

Norman Bates’s ending monologue when he is in police custody is haunting. Instead of Norman’s voice, you hear his mother’s  when the police officer hands him the blanket. She then begins to start ranting on, and on about how much of a disappointment her son is and how she, his mother’s personality is innocent. You can tell how conflicted he is when you hear what is going on in his head. “He was always bad, and in the end he intended to tell them I killed those girls and that man.” Norman might seriously believe he had nothing to do with it because his mother’s personality is pulling all the strings. What is also scary is how devious this personality is, “They know I can't move a finger, and I won't. I'll just sit here and be quiet, just in case they do... suspect me. They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of a person I am. I'm not even going to swat that fly. I hope they are watching... they'll see. They'll see and they'll know, and they'll say, "Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly..." It seems even after his mother’s death Norman still searches for her acceptances and the fact he can never achieve it, made him conjure her in his mind. At the end it almost seems like Norman is only a passenger along for the ride in his own body, while his mother is driving.





No comments:

Post a Comment