Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Taxi Driver Response

            I thought Taxi Driver was actually a pretty boring movie, and I don't know why it’s gotten so much hype since it was released. Yes there are some funny scenes and some scenes that made the audience think about what was happening and question it, but overall I did not enjoy it. But Scorsese did represent a Vietnam war veteran fairly well, by showing what happens after someone comes out of the war; he has trouble sleeping, becomes desensitized to violence, and doesn't really know how to interact with not only women, but people in general. He chooses a night job as a taxi driver because he says he cannot sleep and also to get away from people around him in order to be alone. He doesn’t trust other people and feels like he can’t relate to other people in the city. Throughout the movie, Travis keeps talking about how dirty and grimy the city is, and I think the reason for all the killing is because he is trying to fix this problem. He wants to get rid of all the people in society who are making the streets “dirty”. He needed a purpose in his life post-war, and his aim is to help Iris get out of the prostitution business, and stop any bad people from corrupting the city. He shoots so many people and is nonchalant about it, as if it is no big deal. What I don't get is how he never ends up getting caught from shooting all those people, especially at the end when there is the big shootout. I think Taxi Driver had some good scenes and was developed well, but I just did not like it overall.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the film was overall pretty boring, and not very clear in what the purpose of each character or scene always was. I too felt as though the reason for Travis' killing was to fix all of the issues he saw in society and get ride of those who were making the streets "dirty." I was also confused when he is known as a city hero at the end of the film after having killed many people without getting caught. Another reason why I think I found the film to be somewhat unclear was because I did not realize that Travis was actually a veteran of the Vietnam war. Nevertheless, I also think that there were certainly some intriguing scenes in this film.

    ReplyDelete