Friday, April 11, 2014

Drive - the easiest and hardest role of all time

In the movie Drive, we meet quite a remarkably calm yet badass character. While we all know he's the most handsome man alive, it still isn't exactly clear to me why he's so praised for his work in this movie. First off, Ryan Gosling doesn't actually DO anything the entire time. He hardly even says anything at that. Since he isn't the one actually driving the cars (I assume he doesn't do his own stunts), i'm not exactly impressed with his skill of keeping a straight face for 2 hours. This was a role that literally anyone could have done - but at the same time - impossible for anyone else to do well. I'd even go as far to call him the male Kristen Stewart for his lack of... anything. Because I know Gosling is actually a  good actor, I consider this a waste of good talent, but good use of a pretty face. Despite how easy it would have been to physically accomplish, I couldn't imagine any other actor fulfilling this role the way it was. As much as I liked this movie, it could have used some more dialogue, or at least facial expression at least when the girl wasn't around. The "sexual tension" was a sensible use of silence, but just because he's Ryan Gosling that doesn't mean everyone deserves that treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment