Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Lost In Translation - Why I hated It

Sofia Coppola's


The movie seemed to be more like a movie that was trying to be "deep". It was a calm film, and fairly subtle, but after a while, it just got boring. It seemed to be filled more with cool shots of Tokyo and Bill Murray, and less with an actually interesting plot. I get that the director was trying to tell a story about two people feeling lost and alone in an alien culture, but it fell flat to me. Basically, the whole movie was about two white people with emotional issues, finding each other and becoming friends in Japan. Okay. That was about it.
It felt like the characters were undeveloped. Yes, Bill Murray is a sort-of washed-up, wise-cracking actor with an inattentive wife, but that was about it. Yes, Scarlett Johansson was a lady that felt lonely, and was stuck with an inattentive husband, but that was about it. The only substance I got from their interactions together, were that they were both supposed to be quirky. And after seeing that trope done countless other times, this failed to engage me.

And the thing that topped it off was the ending where Bill Murray whispered inaudibly into Scarlett Johannson's ear. It was supposed to be a mystery, but to me, it fell flat. I honestly could care less about what Bill Murray told her, because I felt no motivation to care. I was unattatched to the characters due to the lack of interesting character traits, and I can already assume that whatever he said would be something cliched like "Goodbye" or "I'll see you again sometime". This movie was dull to me. Very much so.

No comments:

Post a Comment